The Performance Optimization Module (POM) manages the entire end-to-end performance assessment process, from plan creation to final rating of record.
- POM supports efforts to align individual performance to strategic plans by providing a means for rating officials and approving officials to assign specific strategic goals to organizational units and then to individual performance plans.
- POM can automatically assign goals based on business unit mission and/or position duties and responsibilities, and/or can be uniquely assigned by the manager. As goals cascade down into individual position performance plans, they are tracked to provide roll-up reporting.
- POM provides enriched reporting as links to the employee and the employee’s position automatically add information into the Avue database in areas such as activity-based costing and interim reporting on goal achievement.
- POM also tracks specific project milestones and/or assigned performance feedback dates, and notifies both employees and managers of deadlines.
Employees are each provided a “performance portfolio” which allows each individual to add notes, comments, work samples, and other information to assist the manager in using documented performance information for the appraisal process. Managers, and approving officials, contribute to the portfolio directly and can review all information provided by employees. Information added to the portfolio can include attachments (an unlimited number) of various types, including scanned documents, common desktop application documents such as Microsoft Office™ documents, pictures, wave files, and video clips. When viewed, attachments open in a pop-up box, for quick viewing and return to the appraisal process.
POM provides, in addition to employee and manager contributions, an online method of automatically requesting performance feedback from various parties as well as performance data provided via interfaced systems (i.e., customer survey, time and attendance, financial, and project management systems). Using the automatic feedback request system prompts key users to provide input as well – from customers, to peers, to special project leads, etc. POM can be used to support 360-degree feedback systems as well as more traditional top-down or bottom-up appraisals. At the time the plan is created, managers can indicate, by business unit or individual, the type and frequency of such feedback as desired. POM includes measurement methods that allow for various forms of performance feedback, from quantitative measures to behavioral assessments.
POM tracks appraisals, automatically routing the appraisals to appropriate parties according to the client’s performance management process. As an example, this would include securing affirmations from approving officials prior to discussing ratings with employees. Appraisals are tracked and managers automatically reminded by POM when appraisals are due and reminders when appraisals are past due. Approving officials can also see how subordinate managers are doing in completing appraisals and recommendations for awards or compensation adjustments. Program managers in HR can similarly track and monitor appraisal completion rates.
POM supports performance awards and recognition including salary increases and bonuses, and provides, via the personnel action request workflow, the proper routing and execution of award and compensation decisions including those requiring a formal personnel (Federal SF-52) action or other payroll transaction. Calculators are provided to help managers determine payouts and the effects of payouts in defined/budgeted award pools. POM also includes a diagnostic tool for managers dealing with below satisfactory levels of performance and automatically generates a model Performance Improvement Plan (or PIP) which conforms to regulation and best practices as defined in case law. Performance deficiencies are evaluated and improvement plans generated to provide employees with specific skill and knowledge building activities and training to bring performance levels to full proficiency.
- Strategic goals are linked to organizational units and then cascade down into individual position performance objectives.
- Provides the ability for supervisors to assess performance in terms of tangible performance objectives and behavioral performance measures, organizationally – or user-defined, to support any performance management or appraisal model.
- Managers receive a “gap analysis,” which allows them to see, prior to the appraisal discussion, where their perceptions of employee performance may be different from that of the employee.
- Automatic and ad hoc generation of reports for upper management or approving officials that help track business unit performance and compare unit performance to organizational goals, operating plans, and objectives.
- A fully digital performance appraisal process where appraisals are tracked, performance deficiencies are evaluated, and improvement plans generated by the module.
- Online coaching, performance support tools, content lookup, situation analysis and decision support for all users, with individual access controlled as to the information displayed and functionality available to each.
- Integrated workflow and approval tracking with real-time metrics analysis.
POM Module Coaching Content Includes
- Understanding the link between performance, compensation, money and motivation.
- Planning and appraising performance.
- Assessing employees for promotion readiness.
- Encouraging employee development using upward mobility opportunities and other programs.
- Optimizing performance through coaching, mentoring, training and rewarding employees.
- Managing the performance of remote employees.
- Responding to performance issues with probationary employees.
- Building effective teams.
- Fostering an empowered work environment.
- Discussing poor performance.
- Documenting performance problems.
- Applying effective interpersonal skills.
- Taking performance-based actions.
- Understanding employee rights and responsibilities.
- Initiating an opportunity period.
- Developing a Performance Improvement Plan.
- Using alternative conflict resolution techniques.
POM Feature Functionality
- Access and retrieval of content from Avue’s database on specific subjects, including performance management, rewards and recognition, compensation analysis, mentoring, promotion readiness, and team development.
- Diagnostic tools to assess problems.
- An authoring tool that allows managers and employees to continuously add to and refine a performance portfolio.
- Online guidance including organizational policy, union agreements, applicable risk management strategies, problem solving options and approaches, and statutory and regulatory references.
- Employee performance tracking, management and archiving.
- A view that permits employees to see their own performance documents and provide performance-related input.
- Automatic notifications, via email and website, regarding deadlines, milestones, progress, required submissions and notifications, priorities, and similar elements.
- Documents appropriate to the subject matter including forms, letters, and notifications.
- Complete archiving including status logs of performance-related activities by date and user.
- Digital user authentication for forms, letters and notifications.
- Unlimited capability to attach virtually any electronic “document” to an employee file (including Word™, WordPerfect™, .PDF, .wav files and other electronic media) which is retrieved in its original format as part of the case file and archive.
- Integration with payroll and other data to view prior year performance, promotion patterns, training received, and other performance related information.